Friday, March 19, 2010

Bum Knee Part 2

Wednesday, I went to the trailer I used to live in that belonged to my late Grandma to get some more of my things to bring to my parents house where I now live. I went there looking for my iTunes gift card that I still can't find.  I ended up bringing a bunch of stuff back. I got some shorts and my scale.  My scale is way off too.  It weighs accurate up to a certain weight but whenever I get on it says I weigh like 8 lbs more than what my moms scale says and my moms is pretty close to the weight watcher scale.  Anyway, my knee was still bothering me on Wednesday so I called the doctor's office.  Of course he has Wednesday's off but the receptionist/nurse was there so she scheduled me an appointment for yesterday at 11:30 am.  Of course yesterday, like Sunday, my knee decides not to hurt so much.  Dr. Laskey rocks. He is the nicest doctor I've ever had. I've never been to him before but everyone has recommended him so I decided to have him be my new doc. My knee wasn't hurting too much until he started moving it everywhere. Owwwwww. He said he could tell it was really tender and definitely swollen. He says it could be just a strained band but he is thinking it's a torn meniscus.  A strained band is usually more common if you fall or do something traumatic like that.  However I would much rather have that than a torn meniscus.  I have to get a MRI Thursday to see for sure.  I am now on drugs. Prednisone for the swelling and Ultram for the pain.  The Ultram makes me super dizzy and drowsy. Anyway if it is torn, I will have to have outpatient surgery. Definitely not looking forward to that.  I am not looking forward to the continuation of taking Prednisone. Common side effects are rapid weight gain and water retention. Yay for steroids  :(.  At the end of the doctor's appointment, he asked me how old I was.  I told him I was 27 and he was really taken aback.  He said I looked a lot younger than that.  He thought he was going to have to write me a note to get out of gym class for high school! LOL.  Yeah that made my day. My friend's father in law just got his knee replaced recently, and it all started about 10 years ago with a torn meniscus that they also did an outpatient surgery on back then.  My mom was telling him that they think that's what I have and he was just like oh no.  I really really really hope it's not that. Arrrrrgh.  Anyway I was supposed to go to Niagara Falls, Ontario, CA at the end of this month to meet my friend for the first time in person.  We now have to postpone it again! Boooo.

No comments:

Post a Comment